Insurance requirements: for-profit agencies delivering services to children

13 September 2022
The Victorian funding requirements for service to children fact sheet outlines requirements for publicly funded non-government organisations that provide services to children to be incorporated and adequately insured for child Physical and Sexual Abuse (PSA) claims.

What cover is required?

For-profit agencies that are in-scope and are ineligible for insurance via the Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA) must have appropriate alternate insurance in place or advise the department of efforts to seek insurance in the private insurance market. The necessary minimum coverage, with different risks to be insured across public liability and/or professional indemnity, is $5 million per individual claim. In the case of cover provided based on a monetary aggregated claims amount, $10 million per annum.

What are the evidence requirements?

A current Certificate of Insurance is to be uploaded via the SAM Module. If you are having difficulty uploading your certificate, please liaise with your key agency monitoring contact in the department who can upload it against your agency’s Compliance record.

Are there exemptions?

The department is aware that the private insurance market for PSA claims is contracting; making it increasingly difficult to secure suitable insurance. The Guideline includes exemption provisions that allow departments to continue to fund agencies that are unable to secure adequate insurance at an affordable rate, where a material service gap may exist if that provider were to exit the market. Exemptions will be considered by the department on a case-by-case basis. This is an evolving issue, and we will provide further updates as more information is available.

Further information